What is colitis: Nowadays the problem of colitis is being seen and heard a lot. Most people do not know this disease by its name and know it by the name of inflammation of the stomach, inflammation in the intestines and this language is used in colloquial speech. This swelling in the abdomen usually occurs in the lower part of the large intestine, near the rectum. If not taken care of in the beginning, then it engulfs the entire colon and the person starts having motion related problems. Here the symptoms, causes and treatment of this disease are being told about…
What is Colitis?
Colitis is an inflammatory disease occurring in the large intestine, which can spread completely to the rectum and colon. When suffering from this disease, the cells of the lining of the large intestine of the patient start getting destroyed and new cells stop making. During this, ulcers (blisters) begin to form in the large intestine, due to which pus, mucus or bleeding starts while making a motion.
Symptoms of Colitis
- There is a strong pressure feeling for frequent motion (bowel movement) but when we try to pass stool, it does not come.
- abdominal pain and cramping
- loss of appetite or loss of appetite at all
- rectal pain
- Bleeding from the rectum during motion
- persistent weight loss
- Feeling weak all the time and not wanting to get out of bed
- Joint pain (joint pain)
- Apart from these, many other symptoms indicate colitis. These depend on the person’s body and disease condition.
Types and causes of colitis
There are mainly 4 types of colitis. The cause of every problem is different and its symptoms can also be different in different people…
1. Ulcerative colitis: This is the most common type of colitis and occurs when the body’s own immune system becomes overactive against certain microbes. For example, bacteria present in the digestive system. Then there are many types of ulcerative colitis as well.
2. Ischemic colitis: When blood flow to the colon or lower part of the large intestine is temporarily interrupted, the cells of the digestive tract do not get enough oxygen and blood flow. Due to this, these cells start getting damaged.
3. Microscopic colitis: There are two types of microscopic colitis. Its type is detected and treated by taking a sample from the colon by a microscope.
4. Allergic colitis in infants: This colitis is seen only in young children. In this, the child’s immune system is overactive towards a particular protein found in cow’s milk, which causes inflammation in the colon of children.
If colitis occurs once, it is difficult to cure it completely. But it can be controlled so much that the person is able to lead a normal life.
Disclaimer: The methods, methods and claims mentioned in this article are to be taken only as suggestions, ABP News does not confirm them. Before following any such treatment/medication/diet, please consult a doctor.
Check out below Health Tools-
Calculate Your Body Mass Index ( BMI )